Executive, Executive - Associate Athletics Director
4 Year Degree
Shepherd University is located in scenic, historic Shepherdstown, West Virginia, about 90 minutes driving distance from both Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, and within driving distance of the Appalachian Trail, the Northern Virginia tech corridor, and the Maryland I-270 tech corridor.
Shepherd University is a state-supported institution within the West Virginia system of higher education. From its beginnings over 150 years ago, the University has evolved into a comprehensive center of learning, offering baccalaureate and graduate degrees in a wide range of fields, encompassing the liberal arts, business administration, teacher education, the social and natural sciences, and other career-oriented areas. www.shepherd.edu
Shepherd University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action institution. The University neither affiliates knowingly with, nor grants recognition to, any individual, group or organization having policies that discriminate. Individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Shepherd University seeks an Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance and Administration who will report directly to the Vice President for Athletics.
• Oversee and manage NCAA and conference rules compliance for the Athletic Department while acting as liaison for the Registrar's Office, Financial Aid Office, Admission's Office and the Faculty Athletic Representative.
• Develop, update, and execute policies, processes, forms and systems related to NCAA requirements and University policies and processes, which includes but is not limited to squad lists, eligibility checklists, athletic scholarships, and National Letter of Intents.
• Oversee the submission of required NCAA reports - which includes but is not limited to the Graduation Rate Success report and Academic Success Rate report.
• Assist with filing NCAA reports which includes but is not limited to annual financial aid reports, EADA/NCAA financial reporting, and Sports Sponsorship as well as the Self-Study Guide required every five years.
• Manage access to NCAA applications as the single source sign on administrator.
• Research and provide interpretation of applicable regulations, rules, and requirements to coaches, staff, and student-athletes. Work with relevant areas (including, but not limited to, NCAA and PSAC and other University departments) to research regulations, rules, and requirements, as well as exceptions as applicable.
• Support implementation of education sessions for all athletic department personnel, student-athletes, and other relevant areas and constituents.
• Investigate all suspected and reported rule violation to determine if an NCAA, PSAC or Shepherd University violation occurred and assist with the Vice President of Athletics with proper corrective action.
• Serve as the primary contact for roster management within the Athletic Department; input and coordinate rosters in Banner, Compliance Assistant and ARMS software, consistent with all applicable policies, procedures, and systems; provide rosters to internal offices, including for NCAA squad lists and eligibility reports. • Oversight of all recruiting logs for NCAA compliance, consistent with all applicable policies, procedures, and systems.
• Monitor complimentary admission, tryouts, official visits and unofficial campus recruiting visits to ensure compliance with NCAA legislation, consistent with all applicable policies, procedures, and systems.
• Monitor playing season restrictions - which include but are not limited to daily and weekly practice logs, declaration of playing season, declaration of coaching staff, sports sponsorship requirements and outside competition of student-athletes in domestic as well as international contests.
• Monitor student-athlete's progress toward degree requirements and the progress of student-athletes who have been identified to be in need of special academic support, or who are at risk of failing to meet academic expectations
• Prepare NCAA waivers which include but are not limited to the medical hardship waivers, progress toward degree waivers, legislative relief waivers and student-athlete reinstatement.
• Work directly with the coaching staffs, NCAA eligibility center staff and High School counselors to evaluate student's academic history and ensure all incoming student-athletes meet NCAA initial eligibility regulations for participation, financial aid and/or competition in their first year of attendance.
• Work directly with the Associate Registrar and Faculty Athletic Representative to certify all continuing student-athlete's academic eligibility.
• Advise student-athletes, who desire to transfer in or out of Shepherd University by providing educational and formal release documentation. Manage the Transfer Portal by updating the list of student-athletes as well as their eligibility data within the portal. Review and assist in the certification of eligibility for transfer student-athletes.
• Serve as a primary contact for head coaches and campus constituents in relation to sports camps. Oversee compliance and online registration processes within the ARMS software while assisting with the scheduling of athletic trainers, budget review and registration process for all sports camps. Senior Administrator
• Assist in the development and implementation of a gender equity and participate in decisions regarding gender equity.
• Investigate concerns regarding student-athlete well-being, collaborate with administration and other campus offices as well as ensure a solution.
• Monitor and address student-athlete conduct issues within the department.
• Assist in oversight of the athletics department operations which includes maintaining the department's operations manual as well as design and manage automated business processes through the ARMS software.
• Provide managerial and administrative leadership for the athletics department. This involves the supervision of six designated sports teams and administering guidance to coaches, interns, league officials, game management staff and, potentially, student-employees.
• Assist in supervision of the Training Room personnel and schedules to ensure issues related to student-health and well-being are addressed by Athletic Department staff and coaches.
• Assist with the supervision of the Athletic Department's community outreach and educational trainings, such as Title IX reporting, First Aid and CPR certifications, as well as drug and alcohol education.
• Assist with oversight of game management operations for specified sports other than football which includes but is not limited to the supervising personnel (game day officials, game coordinator, game manager, student-athletes, interns, and casual employees)
Application Process Candidates must apply via the University’s online HR applicant system, at https://jobs.shepherd.edu. A letter of application, resume, and contact information (names, phone numbers and email addresses) for three references must be included in the online application.
3 - 5 years of experience working in NCAA collegiate athletics
Ability to manage multiple collaborative projects in a fast-paced environment.
Must possess excellent organizational and communication skills and the ability to pay close attention to details.
A working knowledge of national rules, bylaws and philosophies. NCAA DII Experience a plus.
Experience in student development in a collegiate athletics environment a plus.
Internal Number: 0003791
About Shepherd University
Shepherd University is a state-supported institution within the West Virginia system of higher education. From its beginnings over 130 years ago, the University has evolved into a comprehensive center of higher learning, serving a number of related, yet distinct roles:
The University offers baccalaureate degrees in a wide range of fields, encompassing the liberal arts, business administration, teacher education, the social and natural sciences, and other career-oriented areas.
The University provides credit courses for individuals with no degree aspirations, but who seek to broaden and update their knowledge in either familiar or new fields of intellectual endeavor.
For the northern Shenandoah Valley region as a whole, the University is a center for noncredit continuing education, public service, and convenient citizen access to extensive programs in art, music, theater, athletics, and other areas of public interest. Shepherd University has a responsibility to extend its resources beyond the campus, bringing higher education closer to those who seek it.