Oversee the day-to-day communications and media relations for designated NCAA Division I sports under the supervision of the Assistant Athletics Director for Communications & Engagement. This individual will focus on telling compelling stories in written, video, social media, graphics or other innovative formats in collaboration with team members of the external unit. With the ultimate goals of unifying and growing Bronco Athletics brand awareness, increasing fan loyalty/activation and increasing revenues; develop and execute marketing, publicity and sports information efforts (across currently available and emerging channels) that yield positive results toward these stated goals. This position will serve as the primary communications contact for men’s basketball and other assigned sports. Background in graphic design is strongly preferred. Develop and execute marketing and publicity efforts to increase brand awareness, fan loyalty and revenues.
• Perform and manage media and public relations duties for assigned sports. Ensure appropriate coordination of day-to-day and game day media needs. Ensure appropriate development, editing, production and distribution of informational resources (print and digital) for both the media and public. Ensure timely updating and upgrading of wmubroncos.com and other athletic affiliated web pages and social media platforms. Maintain archival files of team and student-athlete statistics, data, biographical information and photos for use in operations and/or historical purposes. Regularly pitch external media outlets on potential stories from both assigned teams and Bronco Athletics at large.
• Proactively identify opportunities to create and put to action content/projects/stories (graphics, social media, web, video, etc.) that will positively influence and generate increased involvement in WMU Athletics. Use today’s changing and advancing new media technologies to increase stakeholder (Community, Recruits, WMU Students, WMU student organizations, WMU Faculty/staff, Bronco Athletic Fund members, etc.) engagement, ticket sales, sponsorship revenues and donor giving.
• Work alongside Bronco Productions and the WMU Athletics external team to plan, create and execute promotional materials/activities, in-game elements, video board operations and game environment experienced by our fans at athletic events. Serve as an on-site manager of in-game event staff for designated games. Ensure consistency of brand messaging elements. Assist to ensure public address, video and in-game entertainment (promotions, band, cheer, dance, music, etc.) script is well rounded, fulfills obligations, encourages fan interaction and enhances the in-game experience.
• Engage stakeholders (Admin, coaches, and staff) to identify and prioritize marketing initiatives. Determine appropriate budget allocations of chosen initiatives. Develop and implement elements (online, social media, email, print, digital, traditional forms of advertising and partnership components) of chosen initiatives; ensure a cohesive approach to brand awareness is taken in development of said elements.
• Please provide a Cover Letter highlighting your qualifications; Resume and List of References
• Significant experience working in collegiate athletics communications or professional sports media relations. Experience working with administrators, coaches and student-athletes.
• Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, organizational abilities.
• Must have the ability to work under the pressure of deadlines and non-traditional work schedules to include nights, weekends and holidays as necessary.
• Social media experience with Twitter, Facebook, SnapChat, Instagram, Periscope and other emerging applications.
• Ability to utilize both Mac and PC platforms, Adobe Creative Suite products, Microsoft Office and StatCrew.
Bachelor's degree in Communications, Journalism, English, Sports Management or other relevant discipline.
One year's relevant experience.
Background in graphic design is strongly preferred.
Basketball communications experience is preferred.
Additional Salary Information: Pay is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Internal Number: 0605667
About Western Michigan University
Western Michigan University is a learner-centered, research university, building intellectual inquiry and discovery into undergraduate, graduate, and professional programs in a way that fosters knowledge and innovation, and transforms wisdom into action. As a public university, WMU provides leadership in teaching, research, learning, and service, and is committed to enhancing the future of our global citizenry.Nationally and internationally recognized, the University aspires to distinguish itself as learner centered, discovery driven, and globally engaged.The synergy of these three pillars enables WMU to be a premier and distinctive university of choice. Western Michigan University offers all students a learning community designed for and dedicated to their success. We are committed to access and affordability, and sustaining an environment in which every student can meet the world head-on and triumph.WMU has more than 250,000 alumni worldwide, living in all 50 U.S. states and some 140 other countries. Of the University's total alumni, about 73 percent —183,831—reside in America and about 51 percent—128,887—reside in Michigan.•The University has a diverse student body, with minorit...y groups making up 23 percent, graduate students 21 percent and international students 8 percent.•Despite its size and complexity, WMU has a 17-to-1 student-to-faculty ratio, two-thirds of undergraduate classes have 30 or fewer students, and undergraduates have ample opportunities to work closely with faculty researchers and artists.•Within three months of graduation, 91 percent of alumni are employed, engaged in military service or full-time volunteer work, or continuing their education; 88 percent are satisfied with their jobs; and 85 percent have jobs related to their degree.•Ranked No. 1 among Top U.S. Sales Schools by Study.com, the sales and business marketing program is one of just a handful of majors focusing on both selling and sales leadership and since 2007 has been recognized by the Sales Education Foundation as being one of the Top University Sales Programs.•National researcher Gartner lists the integrated supply management program among the nation's 10 leading supply chain undergraduate programs and has done so for the past three years.•WMU has the world’s oldest, largest and premiere blindness and low vision studies program of its kind in the world.•The Haworth College of Business is among an elite group of fewer than 5 percent of business schools worldwide that are accredited at both the undergraduate and graduate levels by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business as well as among the select 1 percent that have additional specialized AACSB accreditation for their accountancy programs.The Division of Intercollegiate Athletics adds to the vitality of campus life. WMU is committed to gender equity and is an NCAA Division I school in the Mid-American Conference (Football Bowl Subdivision) and National Collegiate Hockey Conference.•By posting the league's best overall GPA for the academic year, the 398 student-athletes in WMU's 15 Mid-American Conference sports brought home the 2016-17 MAC Institutional Academic Achievement Award.•WMU's male student-athletes have had the highest overall GPA in the Mid-American Conference five times, capturing the MAC's academic achievement award for men more often than any other school in the league.