REPORTS TO: DIRECTOR OF ATHLETICS STATUS: FULL-TIME, EXEMPT, SALARIED
Lake Erie College, a small, co-educational, four-year, independent liberal arts college located in Painesville, OH, 30 miles east of Cleveland, invites applications for the full-time position of assistant director of athletics for sports information. Lake Erie College is an NCAA Division II program that competes in the Great Midwest Athletic Conference (GMAC).
The director of athletics for sports information is responsible for but not limited to: overseeing the day-to-day duties in the areas of sports information and marketing and various sports as assigned by the director of athletics; generating revenue for department of athletics through fundraising, sponsorship and licensing opportunities; coordinating the gathering and dissemination of information about intercollegiate athletic teams, both internally and externally, to various media outlets; serving as the primary spokesperson for the department of athletics and all 19 varsity sports teams; and traveling with teams, as needed. This position provides leadership and oversight to several department groups, including the department of athletics leadership team.
• Administration – Manages operating budget for sports information and marketing department; hires, trains and manages staff of graduate assistant, interns, student assistants, statisticians and other event staff.
• Licensing – Serves as Lake Erie College’s licensing representative and liaison with strategic marketing affiliates; approves all logo usage by internal and external groups so that they conform to branding and licensing guidelines.
• Fundraising/Development – Assists the director of athletics, in conjunction with Institutional Advancement, in procurement of funds for the department; assists with coordination of individual team fundraising efforts and activities; assists with the development and maintenance of department-wide donor database.
• Storm Club – Directs administrative responsibilities of the Storm Club booster organization.
• Media – Is responsible for coordinating all relations and functions with local and regional media covering Lake Erie College athletics; develops strategies to maximize media exposure for varsity teams, student athletes and the department of athletics.
• Publications – Acts as the managing editor on all athletics publications, including media guides, camp and clinic flyers/brochures, game programs, schedule cards, promotional and advertising pieces and department newsletters.
• Online Presence – Is responsible for the design, upkeep and maintenance of the department of athletics website and social media outlets.
• Is responsible for creating and coordinating media hospitality and game management of varsity events and annual GMAC and/or NCAA championships on campus or alternate LEC hosting sites.
• Compiles and records cumulative individual and team statistics and records for all varsity sports; coordinates all record-keeping and statistics compilation.
• Develops publication timelines for all varsity sports.
• Travels with athletic teams and attends home contests, both indoor and outdoor, sometimes in adverse conditions, for various sports events.
• Is responsible for completing daily, weekly and seasonal reports as assigned by the NCAA and conference offices.
• Is responsible for negotiating and finalizing broadcast contracts with area stations to broadcast LEC sporting events; selects and hires on-air talent when necessary; serves as the primary contact between LEC, station and host location for any Coaches Show or on-location events.
• May work more than the traditional 40 hours per week, which may include many weekends (including Sundays), nights and holidays.
• Other duties as assigned by the director of athletics.
Bachelor’s degree required, master’s preferred.
At least two years’ progressive experience at an NCAA institution serving in a sports information capacity.
Demonstrated skills in communication, journalism, social media and video production.
Knowledge of game rules and statistics for each sport, most notably football, lacrosse and volleyball.
Knowledge of intercollegiate athletics, rules and regulations of athletic associations and conferences.
Proficiency with word processing and database software, website design (experience with Presto preferred) and maintenance and familiarity with Stat Crew.
Experience with desktop publishing software – Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, HTML content management and Microsoft Office.
Excellent verbal/written communication skills.
Strong organizational, oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
Ability to edit and create highlight videos.
Experience managing social media campaigns.
All members of the department of athletics staff are responsible for following all institutional and NCAA regulations regarding recruiting and operations of the program and understanding that department of athletics staff members who knowingly violate, conceal or attempt to cover up violations of NCAA rules shall be subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment.
Qualified applicants will have the availability to work evenings and weekends and possess a valid driver’s license for transportation of team for practice or competition.
SPECIAL NOTE FOR THIS POSITION: Include three writing samples and sample original graphics with application materials.
As one of the oldest institutions of higher learning in Ohio’s Western Reserve, Lake Erie College is proud of its long heritage. From its start as a female seminary, in the Mount Holyoke style, to the coeducational institution it is today, the College has been a leader in higher education for over 160 years. Offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees, the College fosters an environment of engagement, empowerment and self-evaluation in a diverse world, for both students and employees. We offer a rich menu of employee benefits in retirement, health, education and more, affirming the value we place in our employees.
Lake Erie College provides an excellent, inclusive, and highly personalized education grounded in the liberal arts tradition. Guided by hope and care, our students are empowered to lead lives of personal significance and professional success as global citizens.
About Lake Erie College
Lake Erie College, founded in 1856, provides distinctive undergraduate and graduate programs grounded in the liberal arts. We empower students to deal with the diversity, complexity and change necessary to excel in the 21st century. We offer 35 undergraduate majors and master’s programs in business administration, education and physician assistant studies. Our students compete in 17 NCAA Division II varsity sports and on three intercollegiate equestrian teams.