Quinnipiac University's Department of Athletics & Recreation seeks applicants for Academic Advisor - Learning Skills Specialist to provide individualized educational assistance for student-athletes who are academically at-risk and to facilitate students’ development as self-regulated learners.
This position is open until filled with a flexible start date between the months of March - June 2019.
· Adhere to the highest standards of academic integrity and work in compliance with all University, NCAA, MAAC Conference, ECAC Conference and Big East Conference rules and regulations
· Provide academic counseling and support to student-athletes for assigned sports to ensure they make appropriate progress towards their degree as well as all academic matters related to meeting University, conference and NCAA eligibility requirements
· Provide academic coaching to student-athletes who need additional support with organization, time management, exam preparation and planning assistance
· Serve as the liaison to the Learning Commons for tutoring assistance and to the Office of Student Accessibility for other necessary accommodations
· Create and facilitate learning/study skills sessions for various groups of student-athletes including but not limited to freshman, transfer students, students on academic warning
· Work collaboratively with other professionals and staff involved in the development of student-athletes, i.e. academic counselors, college advisors, Learning Commons, coaches, instructors, professors, and tutors
· Work nights and weekends as required
· Bachelor's degree in education, higher education, or similar field required
· Master's degree in education preferred
· 3-5 years of progressive experience in athletic academics, preferably at a NCAA Division I institution
· Supervisory experience
· Significant skill in the use of computer software, including, but not limited to, Microsoft Office Suite, Datatel, etc.
· An understanding of NCAA rules and regulations
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills and strong organizational skills, including experience in educational assistance of student athletes
· Ability to work nights and weekends as required
· Demonstrated ability to work with diverse populations and/or a commitment to diversity and inclusion
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Quinnipiac University is considering only those applicants who have valid authorization to work in the United States. Quinnipiac University does not sponsor employment based visas for this position.
Applications must be submitted electronically and include a resume, cover letter addressing how your experience supports the requirements of this position and Quinnipiac’s commitment to diversity and inclusion, and contact information for three references on the application form.