Welcome to the NJCAA Career Center - a member of the Sports & Athletics Career Network. The NJCAA Career Center features job opportunities in intercollegiate athletics throughout the country at all levels - NJCAA, NCAA, NAIA and more. Please note that job opportunities are provided and posted by the specific college/organization in need.
Take the next step in your college-athletics career today by creating an account, reviewing job postings and submitting a resume.
James Madison University is currently accepting applications for two Academic Advisors for Student Athlete Services (SAS). The Athletic Academic Advisors will assist the Associate Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Services in the organization, coordination and implementation of academic support services for student-athletes with some focus being football student-athletes and additional sports as assigned. Components of these services include academic advising as part of the official university advising system, summer orientation, weekly monitoring meetings on academic status of student-athletes, all sport study halls, travel letters, summer school, progress reports to faculty members, recruiting, tutorial support and academic awards and recognition programs.
Specific duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Working with football student-athletes and additional sports as assigned.
- Monitoring academic progress of student-athletes on assigned teams.
- Under the supervision of SAS staff, making necessary and appropriate referrals to campus support resources.
- Providing timely and accurate reports on the academic status of assigned student-athletes to Associate Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Services, coaches and selected administrators.
- Assisting probation and suspension of student-athletes with academic recovery plans.
- Coordinating travel letters for student-athletes who miss class due to athletic travel.
- Assisting with declaration of major/minor process.
- Coordinating academic progress report distribution to faculty.
- Referring student-athletes for diagnostic testing to Associate Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Services as needed.
- Under the guidance of SAS staff, monitoring progress toward graduation and continuing academic eligibility for all student-athletes in assigned sports.
- Maintaining current and accurate knowledge of JMU degree progress reports, majors, minors and pre-professional programs to determine how these elements impact continuing academic eligibility for athletic participation.
- Assisting student-athletes with any university process which affects continuing academic eligibility such as major and minor declaration, permission to transfer classes, evaluation of transfer credit, etc.
- Assisting with research, submission and validation of data required for the NCAA APR and GSR mandated academic reports as directed by SAS staff.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable institutional, conference and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Maintaining confidentiality mandates and guidelines which govern the establishment and maintenance of the protection of student records. Failure to do so will result in immediate termination from position.
- Representing the Student-Athletes Services Department and Athletics with exemplary participation in freshmen orientation and advising, NCAA Life Skills programming and departmental and campus committees, task forces and other support activities as needed and directed.
- Performing other duties as assigned by Associate Athletic Director for Student-Athlete Services to include specific assignments as needed.
- Master's degree in education, counseling or a related field.
- Experience working with college-age population, working with NCAA Division I Athletics and knowledge of Conference and NCAA rules.
- Experience working with diverse populations and in a fast-paced environment.
- Must possess outstanding communication skills, both oral and written.
- Must be able to work collaboratively and effectively with other staff, student-athletes, coaches and administrators and be able to work in time sensitive and pressured environments.
- Must be able to work nights and weekends.
- Must work in compliance with university, federal and NCAA guidelines on confidentiality and protection of student records.
To apply go to JobLink.jmu.edu and reference posting number 0408056. Salary is commensurate with experience. Employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background investigation.
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.