| Department: St. John’s Athletic Department |
Position Title: Graduate Assistant for Athletic Communications (2 positions available)
Description of Services Provided by the Department:
Under the supervision of the Associate Athletic Director for Communications, the Athletic Communications Graduate Assistant will aid in media relations for the St. John's Athletic Department. The graduate assistant will assist with the publicity of assigned Red Storm athletic teams, as well as coordinate and publish written and photographic content for the University's official athletics website and social media platforms, and assist in the planning of media events and execution of game operations at home sporting events. The Athletic Communications graduate assistant is required to work during the summer and University breaks.
Description of Student’s Learning Experience:
(Sport Management Graduate Program) -Athletic Communications graduate assistants are afforded the opportunity to interact with coaches, athletic administrators and industry professionals to provide a well-rounded experience within a NCAA Division I Athletic Department. Primarily, the graduate assistantship gives students hands-on experience in the areas of media relations, digital media and marketing.
The student will benefit from the Graduate Assistantship even though it is not related to his/her field of study in the following way:
The Athletics Communications graduate assistantship provides students with experience working in an external relations office with wide range of industry professionals. This particular position enables students to strengthen their communication skills as an emphasis is placed on writing and public speaking.
Major Activities GA will be involved in and evaluated on:
1. Assist in the publicity of Red Storm varsity sports teams
2. Prepare press releases, media guides and maintain statistics
3. Aid in the management of home athletic events
4. Maintain official athletics website and digital platforms
1. The student must be enrolled in a graduate program at St. John’s university with a major in Sport Management, or Marketing Management
2. The student must have completed a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Communications, Sport Management, or Marketing
3. Experience required includes an Internship experience in Sports Information, Communications or Marketing
1. Stipend in the amount of $4,000
2. Tuition remission
Dates of Assistantship:
1. Start date is Summer 2017 and End Date is Spring 2019 by Academic Year.
2. Hours per week is 20 which includes breaks, University holidays, evening and weekends
3. (If the GA is required to be available during breaks and university holidays specify in the original contract-otherwise they are not required.)
4. (If the GA is required to be available one week before and one week after the beginning/end of the semester specify in the original contract-otherwise they are not required.)
Contact Person: Send rèsumès to Stephen Dombroski at firstname.lastname@example.org